Website of the Landscape Observatory of Catalonia

Conca de Poblet

Some historical notes on the landscape of Conca de Poblet:

  • An eminently agricultural landscape. In the 12th century, coinciding with the Reconquista, it was the source of most of today's inhabited towns. The monastery of Poblet at that time encouraged agriculture and livestock raising organised into granges ("farms") and introduced vine cultivation, which reached its maximum expansion in the 1890s. Despite the onslaught of phylloxera in 1893, which caused many vineyards to vanish, viticulture is currently predominant in Conca de Poblet, marketed to a large extent under the Conca de BarberÓ Designation of Origin (DO).
  • Crops of an herbaceous nature stretch especially to the north of Sarral and Rocafort de Queralt and around Montblanc. It was precisely because of phylloxera that these crops, consisting of grains and almond, olive and hazelnut plantations, gained importance in Conca de Poblet. At the beginning of the 20th century and as a result of the agricultural crisis, people started to abandon these less productive lands, which were harder to get to and had thinner soil with steeper slopes. Today, white pine scrub occupies this land.
  • Industrial development began in the county during the 1970s with the construction of infrastructure like the motorway and power lines, as well as some industrial estates in Montblanc and the surrounding area. More recently, the high-speed train (TGV) has come to form part of this landscape.

More information on Conca de Poblet in the Landscape Catalog of Camp de Tarragona:

RETURN

© 2018 Observatori del Paisatge de Catalunya / Hospici, 8 - 17800 OLOT - Tel: +34 972 27 35 64 - observatori@catpaisatge.net